This iPhone 4 caught fire while charging overnight and a Nest camera caught fire

This iPhone 4 caught fire while charging overnight and a Nest camera caught fire

This iPhone 4 caught fire while charging overnight and a Nest camera caught fire

A decade-old iPhone recently caught fire while charging in a family’s kitchen, and the combustion was captured on video. Fortunately, no one was injured and the fire was extinguished, but the footage is alarming as it took place during the night while the family was sleeping.

The fire occurred with an iPhone 4, a model released 12 years ago, so no one should worry about modern iPhones catching fire. However, the incident highlights the importance of knowing what can cause a battery to burn.

Brian and Jennifer Leisgang, from Ohio, shared details of what happened in a Facebook post. The family says that a Google Home product in the kitchen that was set to record always captured the video.

In the post, the family describes how dangerous the situation could have been:

We were very lucky to avoid a house fire. Our kids were charging our old iPhone 4 with the apple charger last night and it exploded and caught fire in our kitchen while we were sleeping.

Fortunately, we had just finished cleaning the counter yesterday, as [usually] there are many books and school papers in this area. There we are, little pieces of the phone and black soot all over the counter this morning.

Lithium-ion batteries are common in electronics and battery fires are rare, but there are conditions that cause rechargeable batteries to overheat and burn. Common causes include fire exposure, puncture damage, and manufacturer defects.

As for this specific iPhone, one of a few things probably happened. Cheap chargers are often to blame for batteries catching fire, although the charging cable seems to be in good shape here.

The age of the iPhone is also a factor. Older iPhones don’t increase the risk of fire, but battery care is key. A 12 year old iPhone still in use will either have a spare battery or live on a charger to stay powered.

Keeping an old battery connected to a charger can cause the battery to overcharge and overheat. Battery replacement, while necessary, must also be done with care. Relying on an Apple Authorized Service Provider will ensure that the correct procedure is followed and that genuine parts are used.

Lithium-ion batteries can also increase over time. A chemical reaction inside the battery provides energy, but the chemical reaction can fail over time and create a gas. This causes the battery to swell, which greatly increases the risk of fire. Bulged batteries should always be handled with care and replaced.

FTC: We use automatic affiliate links for income generation. More.


Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *